Skip to main content

The Shape of Character

Yesterday nite at LG, we were asked, how has God been shaping us?

I remembered years ago, God showed me two pictures. One was a picture of a raw ore and the other was the picture of a sparkling diamond. God said He would shape me and mould me from the ore into the diamond. Years later as I evaluate how God has shaped me, all I can say is that I have become a more patient person than I was years ago. I've learnt to let things take its shape and let God step in when it is not my time to do anything or say anything.

Yet it's not my past that God wants me to measure myself against i.e "how bad I was and how better I have become". The molding process never stops and continues on. Before I pat myself on the shoulder too quickly, God has placed even more patient people around me. One is my fellow colleague and friend and the other my husband. Each time I am about to congratulate myself for having come 'so far' in my journey, I look at these people whose patience exceeds the normal range for me as far as I am concern. I am placed in the company of these people for one simple reason I believe, I still have a long way to go and I must not be contented with the seemingly improvements I've made.

Yet my failings, imperfections and 'not there yet' notions should not stop me from serving the Almighty. These failings, imperfections will be corrected as I go along and let God do his work. As a vessel is not completed overnight, so my character and spirituality continues to spin on the Potter's wheel.

Character and Spirituality will be tested, again and again. Just when we thought we are there, we'll be tested. The timing of the test is not known to us. Often it springs up at unexpected hours and places. When tested, we know where we are and where we stand. The test is not to condemn us but to reveal to us how deep we have grown. Just as the vessel of clay after being shaped, goes into the furnace. The furnace will tell what the vessel is made of.

The measure of Character and true Spirituality is not seen from our achievements but is seen from how we love, how we care and how we respond to the tests that comes now and then when we are least prepared for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stand Still and Let God Move

Stand Still - By The Isaacs The Father has a plan. Though it's hard to see it now You feel you're walking all alone. But He is there no doubt When the storm around you rages, And you're tossed to and fro When you're faced with life's decisions, Not sure which way to go Stand still and let God move, Standing still is hard to do When you feel you have reached the end, He'll make a way for you Stand still and let God move When the enemy surrounds you, And the walls are closing in When the tide is swiftly rising, And you wonder where He's been Friend, there never was a moment, That His arms weren't reaching out You can rest assured and be secure, God is moving right now Stand still and let God move, Standing still is hard to do When you feel you have reached the end, He'll make a way for you Stand still and let God move Go to youtube.com search for Stand Still + Isaacs. Very beautiful song with meaningful lyrics.

truth hurts but it heals too

2 nights ago, I asked a very close friend of mine if I am an insistent person. Haha.. without any second thoughts, she said yes. Wow, that drove a long nail right through my heart. If you ask, you'll get the answers. Of course, initially I would think to myself, I do not think I am an insistent person all the time but I only insist when I am sure about certain things close to my heart i.e. when I have been seeking God about it or it is IN my system due to long periods of conditioning e.g. spiritually or just my personal value system. That analysis certainly made me felt better but it also got me reflecting (truth heals). As I thought through, certainty about something for me will activate a wish/desire to see it happen immediately and NOW. If it is God's will, it is NOW. As I look back on buying our first flat, it was the same. When I first view the unit (my current place), I was quite sure that the house was IT. But my then fiance and husband now do not think so and asked me ...

6 weeks plus & 4.5mm

I went to the gynae yesterday. For the first time, I heard and saw the baby's heartbeat through the ultrasound scan. It's quite amazing at this point. The gynae told me that the baby is not feeding from me yet, it is attached to a yolk and the yolk is where it draws its nutrients from. It's just great to think that when God created the reproduction system, God saw to every detail. I wonder where did the yolk come from and how it is attached to the baby. It's a mystery to me but it causes me to sing yet again in praise to God. When people heard that I was pregnant, they would expressed their excitement in WOWS & YAYS. For myself, I didn't had such an expression. When I found out that I was pregnant via the test kit, I went "Oh, I am pregnant" - as a matter of factly. Similarly, when Adrian found out that I was pregnant, he had the same response as me. We weren't into screaming the whole house/neighbourhood down. For us, it was sober and thoughtful. ...