Skip to main content

the power of money

Had a good dinner with a friend and was discussing about the power of money. It is so invisible yet so powerful. With money, lots of things can be done. One can buy shelter, food, luxury, status, friendship, comfort, image, style, convenience etc... that's why we do everything we can to obtain it. Once you have it, you almost have the world. The force is so powerful, some spend their entire life chasing after it.

Jesus often challenged about serving either God or Money. If we serve one, we can't serve the other. The quest for wealth will distract us from the pursuits of God and His will. Yet the love of money is such a silent killer. We never know how it has a hold on us until we are drawn into its invincible realm. There are many ways to justify this quest i.e. be responsible, provide for your family and all that. Beneath the disguise is an addiction to the power money brings. Having loads of it makes one feels in control, in charge. Especially in this world where dollars and cents makes the most logical sense to our senses, money is "god" especially if we worship it.

It's a scary and a perpetual nightmare. Being rich, wealthy is not the problem. Loving the wealth, hogging it, placing life's security upon it will slowly pollute us until we become poisonous. We'll never know how much influence it has on us until one day, it is removed from us. Love for money has the ability to unearth the envy & greed monsters in our lives. It can blind us so much from making the right decisions and causes us to be as helpless as one who is addicted to heroin.

I've seen how the love for money destroyed lives. A seasoned investor who draws a 5-digit salary could overnight be hit by a crisis because of an overly ambitious, miscalculated investment. All riches turn to rags as the wand of fortune waves away. No matter how much one loves money, it will never have your interests at heart. Money doesn't serve man. Man serve money. Choose God and serve Him.


1 Tim 6:6 (NLT) "Yet true religion with contentment is wealth"

I don't need to have a lot of money to be happy. I just need to have enough and have the Lord to be blessed.

Comments

r.u.t.h. said…
yep...

Popular posts from this blog

truth hurts but it heals too

2 nights ago, I asked a very close friend of mine if I am an insistent person. Haha.. without any second thoughts, she said yes. Wow, that drove a long nail right through my heart. If you ask, you'll get the answers. Of course, initially I would think to myself, I do not think I am an insistent person all the time but I only insist when I am sure about certain things close to my heart i.e. when I have been seeking God about it or it is IN my system due to long periods of conditioning e.g. spiritually or just my personal value system. That analysis certainly made me felt better but it also got me reflecting (truth heals). As I thought through, certainty about something for me will activate a wish/desire to see it happen immediately and NOW. If it is God's will, it is NOW. As I look back on buying our first flat, it was the same. When I first view the unit (my current place), I was quite sure that the house was IT. But my then fiance and husband now do not think so and asked me

6 weeks plus & 4.5mm

I went to the gynae yesterday. For the first time, I heard and saw the baby's heartbeat through the ultrasound scan. It's quite amazing at this point. The gynae told me that the baby is not feeding from me yet, it is attached to a yolk and the yolk is where it draws its nutrients from. It's just great to think that when God created the reproduction system, God saw to every detail. I wonder where did the yolk come from and how it is attached to the baby. It's a mystery to me but it causes me to sing yet again in praise to God. When people heard that I was pregnant, they would expressed their excitement in WOWS & YAYS. For myself, I didn't had such an expression. When I found out that I was pregnant via the test kit, I went "Oh, I am pregnant" - as a matter of factly. Similarly, when Adrian found out that I was pregnant, he had the same response as me. We weren't into screaming the whole house/neighbourhood down. For us, it was sober and thoughtful.

it's a girl!

Ok. after a long wait. Finally... the gynae is able to confirm that the baby is a girl. Although the disclaimer clause states 80% - 90% accuracy. :) Quite happy that every 'structure' is in place. She has 2 eyes, one nose, one mouth. two hands with five fingers on each hand, a beating heart, 2 kidneys, one stomach a brain... , one tiny head, feet measuring 3cm each and liver... (the nurse in the clinic used the word 'structure' so .....) The detailed scan is suppose to detect any abnormalities so the result so far is normal.... Curious to find out though what she will look like. I am thinking of keeping long hair for her but daddy says, no, short hair better. So, till then... we shall see. yup and not forgetting to keep praying for her to be a teachable and moldable kid and one who will love God always.