Skip to main content

Retreat: Phrases to remember

Just came back from Batu Pahat for our church retreat 2006. I really enjoyed the pace of the retreat and also took time to get to talk to people I see in church on sundays that I seldom get a chance to talk to.

It was also a time for many to share their testimonies and it was a good time listening to most of the people who shared their journeys.

I want to thank God for helping me find some answers in this camp. There were also a few things that a few people spoke that had impacted my thoughts. I shall write it here and remember these phrases for a long time and come back to it as and when I need to. I paraphrase:

1. Be like a child - simply trust and believe - don't ask why why why...
2. To win the prize, the heavenward prize, all we need to do is to complete the race
3. Have faith in God, pray and believe in the impossible but LET HIM decide on the timing
4. Understanding the experience is important as well as responding to the experience
5. Power need not only be something outward and dramatic, when God's words begin to change a person's mind about Himself, power of God is at work
6. "If you love me, obey my commands.... if you want to love me deeper, go beyond the requirements."
7. Understand why I respond to something and don't respond for the sake of responding
8. In worship, engage my mind as my emotions are engaged

When my good friend was sharing devotion on the 2nd day of the camp, as I reflected on my 'race', I realized the importance of having friends along the way, cheering me on. Friends who have seen the good, bad and ugly of me (friends including my husband). It is when I am with them, I let down my "guards and defenses". I'm not fearful that I'll be judged for the thoughts that linger within me, when I can let them into my inner world without any hesitation and for always believing in me that I will choose the right path and not stray away. Friends, who will pray for me and help me see God's perspectives as truth and the only way to resolve the inner conflicts I have. I thank God for every single one of them God has sent and placed in my life. Friends who will and can tell me the truth without me getting the pangs. Because friends love.

Lord, thank you for friends.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

truth hurts but it heals too

2 nights ago, I asked a very close friend of mine if I am an insistent person. Haha.. without any second thoughts, she said yes. Wow, that drove a long nail right through my heart. If you ask, you'll get the answers. Of course, initially I would think to myself, I do not think I am an insistent person all the time but I only insist when I am sure about certain things close to my heart i.e. when I have been seeking God about it or it is IN my system due to long periods of conditioning e.g. spiritually or just my personal value system. That analysis certainly made me felt better but it also got me reflecting (truth heals). As I thought through, certainty about something for me will activate a wish/desire to see it happen immediately and NOW. If it is God's will, it is NOW. As I look back on buying our first flat, it was the same. When I first view the unit (my current place), I was quite sure that the house was IT. But my then fiance and husband now do not think so and asked me

6 weeks plus & 4.5mm

I went to the gynae yesterday. For the first time, I heard and saw the baby's heartbeat through the ultrasound scan. It's quite amazing at this point. The gynae told me that the baby is not feeding from me yet, it is attached to a yolk and the yolk is where it draws its nutrients from. It's just great to think that when God created the reproduction system, God saw to every detail. I wonder where did the yolk come from and how it is attached to the baby. It's a mystery to me but it causes me to sing yet again in praise to God. When people heard that I was pregnant, they would expressed their excitement in WOWS & YAYS. For myself, I didn't had such an expression. When I found out that I was pregnant via the test kit, I went "Oh, I am pregnant" - as a matter of factly. Similarly, when Adrian found out that I was pregnant, he had the same response as me. We weren't into screaming the whole house/neighbourhood down. For us, it was sober and thoughtful.

it's a girl!

Ok. after a long wait. Finally... the gynae is able to confirm that the baby is a girl. Although the disclaimer clause states 80% - 90% accuracy. :) Quite happy that every 'structure' is in place. She has 2 eyes, one nose, one mouth. two hands with five fingers on each hand, a beating heart, 2 kidneys, one stomach a brain... , one tiny head, feet measuring 3cm each and liver... (the nurse in the clinic used the word 'structure' so .....) The detailed scan is suppose to detect any abnormalities so the result so far is normal.... Curious to find out though what she will look like. I am thinking of keeping long hair for her but daddy says, no, short hair better. So, till then... we shall see. yup and not forgetting to keep praying for her to be a teachable and moldable kid and one who will love God always.